Nixy Newport G3
- Stable, beginner friendly all-around SUP that is fun for all sorts of water sports.
- Durable, dual-layer fusion construction. 2-year warranty that covers most common SUP accidents.
- Lightweight at 23 lbs, and supports 350 lbs. Bring a passenger along with you!
- Carbon fiber reinforced rails. Rigid paddleboard that feels great to paddle on.
- Dual-chamber pump + triple wheel roller backpack + fiberglass paddle. Ready for the water out of the box.
- Four great color options to fit your style. Available in teal, aqua, purple, and red. There is also another Newport model that has a sweet palm print and wood coloring.
- While the tri-fin setup improves performance, only the center fin box is compatible with standard US fins. We’d like all three boxes to be standard boxes for greater compatibility.
- Limited nose cargo space. Odd D-ring placement limits accessory compatibility.
NIXY Sports Newport G3 10’6’’ all-around SUP is a versatile inflatable paddleboard that is great for all types of paddlers. The board is lightweight and easy to handle, which is good for younger and shorter paddlers or those new to the world of stand-up paddleboarding. This all-around has a recommended weight capacity of 350 lbs, making it suitable not just for larger adults but also as a fun pick for those who want to paddle with a pet or kid. The Newport G3 maintains a straight and steady course, offering a smooth glide in still water and able to handle moderate chop and waves alike. NIXY Sports also made sure to include a beginner friendly fiberglass paddle, a triple-wheeled roller backpack, and a dual-chamber pump, the full kit of items you need for the water. No matter your size or skill level, you can have a blast paddling with the Newport G3 10’6’’.
SUP Board Specs
|Rider Capacity (lbs)||350 lbs|
|Recommended Inflation||15 to 20 psi|
|Fins||Center standard US fin box with 9’’ tool less screw in fin,|
5’’ screw in side fins
|Paddle Type||Fiberglass shaft and Nylon blade, 33 Ounces|
|Construction||Dual-layer fusion drop-stitch construction|
Carbon fiber reinforced rails
Who Should Buy This Stand Up Paddle Board:
All-around boards are some of the most versatile paddleboards out there, well suited for all sorts of paddlers and activities. Those who will like the Newport 10’6’’ the most include:
- Those who are brand new to the sport, and want something that will help them learn quickly.
- Parents or pet owners who want to bring their kids or pets out with them.
- Those who need a lighter board they can hike with that still offers very solid performance.
- Anyone who wants a durable board with great coverage included if something goes wrong.
- Paddlers who prefer a board that sticks out with bright, noticeable colors.
You can take the Newport G3 10’6’’ into almost any water environment and have an enjoyable paddling experience, with varying degrees of performance. Take the Newport 10’6’’ out to:
- Still, flat water for the most stable, smooth paddling experience.
- Bays, marinas, and the coastline for some fun cruising through light chop and surf.
- Moderate wind and chop, though expect some performance loss.
- Slow, friendly rivers. Make sure you’re careful about your fins!
- Surf! It’s not a dedicated surfboard, but you can do some casual ocean surfing with a little bit of practice.
The Newport G3 has a recommended single paddler weight capacity of 350 lbs, which is more than enough to support all sorts of adults. If you are brand new to the sport, you’ll find it relaxing and easy to stand up on a paddleboard, learning quickly how to maintain your balance on the water. Once you’ve gained some experience, you can definitely bring out a kid or pet to paddle with you on the G3 10’6’’. Expert adult paddlers can go out together, though we recommend a longer board if you’re interested in a tandem paddling experience.
We like how maneuverable the G3 10’6’’ all-around is. Not only does it feel solid in the water, but it’s easy to turn and course correct with the 10’6’’ all-around. You’ll also find it easy to perform a step-back turn by pressing the tail into the water, raising the nose to pivot on the spot. You’ll be able to dodge trees, rocks, and other paddlers with ease, and will also be able to explore every nook and cranny of your favorite lake. Overall, we think the Newport 10’6’’ provides a level of maneuverability that expert paddlers can have fun performing tricks, while beginner paddlers will find it simple to turn the board where they want to go.
Your paddling technique is going to partially determine how well you track, but once you know how to paddle correctly you’ll have a fun, easy-going time with the Newport G3 10’6’’. We enjoyed how simple it was to keep a straight course with it, and enjoyed how the planing hull glided over calm and choppy water alike. We also found it pretty easy to pick up speed, and were able to maintain it well without having to overexert ourselves. The speed, tracking, and glide are all up to par with the Newport G3 10’6’’.
There is something else you can do to improve not just your tracking, but your stability and overall performance. The Newport G3 10’6’’ has a tri-fin setup that, when installed with the included screws, will make your paddling experience even better. Install the 9’’ center fin for better tracking, and the 5’’ side fins for superior stability and overall performance when used in conjunction with the center fin. For the most part, it’s a better experience to go out with the fins than without them, though make sure to leave them in the bag when going in shallow water.
NIXY Sports relies on their FusionTech construction system to create a dual-layer fusion board, composed of a tight drop-stitch core protected by PVC coatings. We wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t understand half the words in that sentence, so read on for a more detailed breakdown below!
The drop-stitch core is made up of reinforced fused fabric sheets that are bound together with thousands of strings that will hold the sheets together as air inflates the core. Due to the placement of the strings, the SUP board shape you see above is assumed instead of a balloon type shape similar to most inflatables. This reinforced drop-stitch core is durable, providing the base performance and support for the Newport G3 10’6’’.
This drop-stitch core is also prone to punctures and lacks structural strength to support most adults, so additional protection is added to the core. An inner military grade PVC acts as a base that protects the core, with an additional polyester fused fabric sheet and outer PVC composite shell applied as a second layer of protection.
Taken together, the dual-layer fused construction is very resilient, capable of withstanding drops, crashes, and other common SUP accidents that befall the SUP. Carbon fiber rails are also applied, adding further protection to the vulnerable seams and helping the inflatable SUP feel more rigid like a hardboard. With just a little care, you’ll be able to use the Newport G3 10’6’’ for years without suffering any performance loss, though don’t drag it if you want to avoid damaging the bright color scheme!
The Newport G3 has a traditional all-around shape and design that makes it well suited for all sorts of activities. The 10’6’’ length is short enough to be easy to maneuver with yet just as easy to maintain a straight course with while paddling. The 33’’ width and 6’’ thickness provides the board with the volume to support short and tall adult paddlers, and to bring out an extra passenger when desired. As an all-around, it won’t outperform dedicated performance boards, but it can offer similar performance and help you keep up with your friends when engaged in casual activities. Light cruising, racing, and touring are all fun ideas for what you can do with the G3 10’6’’, and even a little surfing or river running once you’ve gotten some practice in. You won’t be stuck doing any one activity with the Newport G3, so be sure to try a bit of everything if you paddle with the Newport G3 10’6’’.
There’s alot to appreciate about the Newport G3 10’6’’ regarding its overall performance, but we also like the board for its other helpful features as well. Some which we wish to highlight include:
- Carbon Fiber Rails: The carbon fiber reinforced side rails bridges the gap between inflatable and hardboard. The reinforced rails make the board more rigid, which in turn improves the stability, feel, and overall performance of the board. The carbon fiber reinforced side rails are built into the board as well, making packing a breeze as you won’t have to deal with the removable rods featured in some other boards.
- Dual-layer FusionTech: The G3 10’6’’ all-around has a very good balance of a strong, durable, well-built board that is also lightweight and easy to carry. Due to the construction and materials, this board can take a beating and suffer little to no damage. The Newport G3 10’6’’ will last for years with just a little proper care, so go all out with it!
- Dual-bungee cargo area + 14 D-Rings:The two cargo areas have removable bungees, which you can use to secure gear to your board or remove for extra deck space. The 14 D-rings are all compatible with a variety of SUP accessories as well, so be sure to bring a dry-bag, cooler, or something else out with you to make your paddling trip better!
- Nose Halkey-Roberts inflation valve: We love how the inflation valve for the G3 10’6’’ is located on the nose, as it makes it easier to deflate the board when you’re ready to back. Leave the valve open and start rolling from the tail, and as you pack it up you’ll have a quicker and easier time making sure you’ve gotten enough air out to pack up the board.
- Triple grab handles: The center carry handle as a neoprene cover, making it easy to lift the Newport G3 while protecting against chafing when you’re cold or wet. The other two handles are basic, but have solid covers that will protect the nose and tail handles from fraying. The three handle setup makes it real easy for solo paddlers and tandem paddlers to lift alike.
- Stamped traction pad:We quite like the traction support and how grippy the deck pad is to stand on, besides how it covers most of the length of the board. The traction pad is made to dry and drain water quickly, and will let you paddle for hours without hurting your feet.
- Fiberglass paddle + Nylon Blade: (Need paddle weight for this section). This easy to assemble paddle can be put together in seconds, and is adjustable on and off the water. When ptu together, you can also adjust the length so you can pass the paddle along to your friends. Floats on the water too!
- Three distinct colors: Available in bright red, blue, or aqua. The (INSERT COLOR HERE) option has been featured in our review.
The Newport G3 10’6’’ has a tri-fin setup that will improve your tracking, stability, and total performance when used together. Just rely on the 9’’ center fin if you want to have a straighter course in the water, or add the 5’’ side fins as well if you want the board to feel a little more stable. These fins are very hard to damage, and we’d recommend using them every time you head out unless you’re paddling in shallow water environments that would cause your SUP to drag across the ground.
There is a standard center US fin box, making the Newport G3 10’6’’ compatible with a large variety of third-party fins for additional customization. All three NIXY Sports fins are secured with a screw-in setup that allows you to secure your fins in seconds, and is totally tool-less as well. These screw-in fins are similar to snap-lock fins, but are more tightly secured than a snap-lock system if taking a few seconds more to install. We like the fins well enough, but it would be great if all three fin boxes were US fin boxes instead of just the center fin.
Stamped Traction Pad
The Newport G3 10’6’’ traction pad is stamped all over with the NIXY logo, which makes the deck pad stick out while also improving traction and grip support with the stamped pattern. The deck pad is built to help paddlers avoid slipping, drying quickly and draining most of the water that comes with paddling through larger chop and waves. The deck pad is soft enough that you can paddle for hours with comfort, and is spacious enough to support additional passengers. The stability and quality of the deck pad make it a good option for doing some yoga too, so try it out if you end up paddling with the Newport G3 10’6’’!
There are three grab handles located on the nose, center, and tail of the paddleboard. The center handle will be the one you use to lift the board as a solo paddler, and is very comfy to hold. The center grab handle has a neoprene cover, which protects against hand irritation when grabbed with freezing or soaking wet hands. The other two handles, located on the nose and tail, do not have a neoprene cover. These handles do have a solid casing that protects them against fraying, and are still easy to hold when tandem paddlers want to lift the board.
There are two bungee cargo areas, the smaller bungee system on the front and larger cargo space near the tail of the Newport G3. Both bungee cord systems are removable, but can be used for securing coolers, lunch boxes, and other small to medium sized containers when used. We would like to see the front bungee system made a little bit bigger, as it was somewhat difficult to secure even a small drink cooler beneath the cords.
Whether you use the bungees or remove them, there are also 14 D-rings scattered around the Newport G3 10’6’’. The tail D-ring is great for attaching a leash to, while the other 13 D-rings are compatible with cell phone cases, dry bags, tugging ropes, and all sorts of clip-on SUP accessories. The D-rings are well made, but we would like to see them a bit more spaced out and evenly distributed across the Newport G3 10’6’’. As they are now, trying to use multiple D-rings can cause your add-ons to get tangled up, and a few popular accessories do not work because of how
Fiberglass Shaft + Nylon Paddle Blade
The three piece, adjustable fiberglass shaft and nylon paddle blade is a very beginner friendly paddle. It does weigh 33 ounces, which is more than what you’ll find with pure fiberglass or carbon fiber paddles. However, the included paddle does help keep the cost of the overall kit down, and will still provide a powerful push that will propel you through the water. Beginners to intermediate paddlers will learn how to paddle effectively with the included fiberglass paddle.
The included paddle is very easy to assemble, and comes in three pieces so it can break down and fit snugly into the included backpack. The paddle can be adjusted to work with almost any paddler height, and can be done even once you’re out on the water. If you pass your paddle and drop it, worry not as it will float too! Lastly, the handle is ergonomic, and should not only fit nicely but allow you to paddle all-day without developing blisters on your palms.
Included with the Newport G3 kit is a dual-chamber, triple-action pump that will inflate the 10’6’’ board in less than 15 minutes. The instructions on how to use the pump are printed on it, so even first time paddlers will figure out how to get their SUP ready for the water. The pump is also compact enough that you won’t have any problems storing it in your backpack when you’re ready to head home for the day.
The dual-chamber pump is definitely a great inclusion, but we also know there are those who don’t want to deal with inflating the board themselves. That’s why our number one recommended accessory for improving the paddleboarding experience is an electric pump. Electric pumps will do the hard work of inflating your paddleboard for you, and do it in about the same time as it would take to pump it manually. Electric pumps are also built with a deflation nozzle as well, letting you suck the air out quicker and making sure it’s ready to be rolled up. Electric pumps are also smaller and even more compact, leaving you more space in your backpack for other items or just an easier to pack kit. For these reasons, we definitely recommend adding an electric pump to your kit if you want to make your paddleboarding experience even better!
The three wheeled, heavy duty nylon backpack will protect your kit and paddleboarding gear, and make it real easy to transport it all as well. The bag is built to be thick and roomy, easily fitting everything in and safeguarding board, fins, and other equipment against sand and water alike. Besides the multiple carry handles on the bag for short distance carrying, there are adjustable straps for backpacking, with pockets to insert the shoulder straps when not in use. Additionally, there are three rugged wheels located on the front of the bag, positioned in such a way as to avoid getting tangled with the bag straps.This is a fantastic backpack, and one we’re glad is included with the Newport G3 10’6’’ SUP.
The 10’ coiled leash will let you fall or swim in the water without worrying about the G3 10’6’’ drifting away from you. Attach one end of the leash to a D-ring, the other end to your ankle or thigh, and you’ll be good to go. Leashes are great in fast moving water environments, but it is important to note that they won’t help you float. Be sure to stay safe and bring a PFD with you when paddleboarding!
With so many D-rings, it’s likely that there’s one or two things you’d like to bring with you when you paddle on the Newport G3 10’6’’. Most common SUP accessories will work great with it, though you should always check compatibility before purchasing. Some accessories from Nixy Sports that we think you’ll love and are guaranteed to work with the Newport G3 10’6’’ include:
- NIXY Elite Electric Pump
- NIXY Landing Mat
- NIXY Adjustable Kayak Seat
Company Review – NIXY Sports
Founded in Irvine, California, NIXY Sports was started by Nicolas and Alexandra Szczedrin with the goal to create versatile, lightweight, and durable paddleboards that benefited water sports enthusiasts. Since their founding, NIXY Sports has grown to encompass five unique, high performance paddleboards that offer stellar performance at an affordable price. From the Huntington 9’6’’ Compact to the Manhattan 12’6’’ Touring, we’re sure that NIXY Sports will have a paddleboard that is perfect for your needs.
The Newport G3 10’6’’ is built to last, and its FusionTech construction will withstand almost anything you can expect to challenge it when you’re paddleboarding. For additional protection though, the Newport G3 comes with a 30-day guarantee and 2-year warranty, promising protection for everything outside of typical wear and tear. We’ve found NIXY Sports to be very friendly, and provide quick answers to the questions or concerns we have. We love NIXY Sports boards, and love the team that makes them too!
NIXY Sports Newport G3 10’6’’ is an all-around inflatable SUP that is well-suited for just about everyone. Smaller, younger paddlers will find the board easy to handle and maneuver thanks to the light weight of the board, and larger adult paddlers will appreciate the stability offered by the Newport 10’6’’. The FusionTech construction deftly balances durability with keeping the board light, and offers a great feel when paddling due to the carbon fiber reinforced rails. The included kit has everything you need for the water, all packed into a fantastic three-wheel roller backpack. You’ll have a blast racing, cruising, touring, practicing yoga, or engaging in all sorts of other SUP activities with the Newport G3 10’6’’ all-around board!
Have a question about our review, or want to find out more about NIXY Sports or the G3 10’6’’? Then make sure to leave a comment below, or send us an email! We love to talk about paddleboards, and are always happy to answer any questions you may have about the sport or equipment alike. We also update our reviews based upon the feedback we receive, so if you’ve paddled with the G3 10’6’’ be sure to let us know! Be sure to visit us again in the future to read our up to date thoughts on the Newport G3 10’6’’ and other paddleboards.
Thank you so much for reading, and we hope you have a great time SUPing!