GILI Komodo Inflatable SUP Board
- Very stable inflatable SUP, built for yoga but also is a great light-weight cruiser and all-around SUP.
- Weighs 21 lbs when fully inflated. Light and easy to carry, even for teenagers.
- Very tough triple-layer fusion construction. Balances durability, rigidity, and weight.
- Extended deck pad for additional stretching space with traction grooves. Best GILI Sports deck pad.
- Available in blue and teal.
- $12 to $15 of every purchase is donated to ocean preservation charities!
- Dual-chamber pump would make inflating the Komodo even easier.
The Gili Komodo 10’6’’ is a versatile paddleboard that is designed as a very stable all-around SUP. The large 340 lbs weight capacity and 33” width makes this iSUP a great yoga board, and it can easily support multiple paddlers, kids, or pets.The rocker and rigidity of the SUP provides for a smooth glide in still or light chop, and you’ll be able to maintain a good, straight linewith a little practice. The included kit has everything you need to get on the water immediately, with a setup that can be put together in less than 15 minutes. Furthermore, the Komodo weighs just 21 lbs fully inflated, making it a very lightweight option for hiking with or as a starter paddleboard for younger, smaller paddlers. The Komodo 10’6’’ is beginner friendly and offers good performance for experienced paddlers, making it a great all-around/yoga option for everyone.
SUP Board Specs
|Rider Capacity (lbs)||340 lbs|
|Recommended Inflation||12-18 PSI|
|Paddle Type||Fiberglass shaft, Nylon blade|
Weight: 34 ounces
|Materials||Dual layer fusion laminated military grade PVC with a drop stitch core|
Who Should Buy This Stand Up Paddle Board:
As a hybrid yoga/all-around board, the Gili Komodo has a little bit to offer to everyone. For maximum enjoyment, go with the Komodo 10’6’’ if you are one of the following:
- A brand new paddler who wants something very stable to learn with.
- Someone who wants to go out on the water and have a good time with their kids or pet.
- Interested in a board that offers good performance while staying light but durable.
- A yoga enthusiast that want’s a solid, long, and cushy deck pad.
- Those who want to not just buy a great paddleboard, but support ocean charities at the same time!
The stability and structure of the Komodo make it well suited for most water settings. Depending on what you want to do though, go out in the following conditions:
- Stick to calm and still waters if you want to practice yoga.
- Lakes, bays, and marinas are great for some light touring.
- You can handle some chop wind, though expect some performance loss.
- If you want to go on a river, try to stick to slower, friendly rivers without quick rapids.
If you’re practicing yoga or are trying to learn how to paddleboard, your top factor to consider is stability. In this regard, the Komodo 10’6’’ delivers, and is a very easy board to stay on top of in the water. The 340 lbs weight capacity, which more experienced paddlers can exceed, is more than enough to support even larger, heavier paddlers. If you want to bring your kids or pet out with you, you’ll definitely be able to do it even if you’re newer to the sport. Overall, the Komodo 10’6’’ has great stability, especially for a 21 lbs paddleboard.
We like the Komodo’s maneuverability, and find it a pretty easy board to handle. With just a few strokes to your side, you’ll be able to change the direction you’re going in the water. You won’t have any problem doding rocks, submerged trees, or other paddlers with the Komodo by looking ahead. If you do need to turn suddenly though, the Komodo 10’6’’ is very accommodating for performing a step-back turn. Move a foot back and press down into the tail of the board, and you’ll sink the rear of the Komodo while raising the nose. Once the nose is out of the water, like you see above, you can quickly pivot to any direction you want on the spot. Practice performing step-back turns, and you’ll be able to maneuver almost any water setting with ease.
The 33’ wide, 6’’ thick board won’t zoom like a touring board on the water, but it does track well and provide a smooth, comfortable glide. The Komodo 10’6’’ has a raised nose rocker that helps keep your board out of the water, especially when light chop and waves are coming your way. The all-around shape of the Komodo also lends itself to a steady track that, with the proper paddling technique, won’t have any trouble maintaining your course in the water.
Something you’ll want to add though for the best performance is the included snap lock fins. Easy to install, put the center 9’’ fin on for improved tracking, and throw the side 4.5’’ fins into the mix as well for additional stability and overall enhanced performance. You can read more about the fins below, but with them you’ll find that the Komodo 10’6’’ tracking, speed, and glide are great for most casual SUP sports.
GILI Sports relies on a triple-layer fusion construction that protects a tight drop-stitch core to build the Komodo 10’6’’. Not sure what half that sentence even means? Then read on for our more detailed construction breakdown.
The drop-stitch core consists of sheets of fabric that are held together with thousands of strings attached to the interior of the fabric core. Once air is pumped into the core, the drop-stitch core will inflate into a tight knit board shape thanks to those strings. For additional weight support, durability, and increased performance, a layer of military-grade PVC is then fused to the sheets surrounding the drop-stich core.The end result is the dual-layer fusion Gili Komodo 10’6’’, more than capable to resist most common drops and crashes with no structural damage.
The Komodo is 10’6’’ long, similar to most all-around boards that want to balance tracking and maneuverability. The 33’’ width, coupled with the 6’’ thickness and triple-layer fusion construction, prioritize stability without totally sacrificing nimbleness and speed. With these dimensions, the Komodo is a stable all-around SUP, and will be great for yoga, paddling with friends, or bringing along your pet. You’ll find the Komodo great for fishing as well, although we do want to note that there are no dedicated fishing mounts.
The Komodo is set up as a stable all-around SUP, and it has a number of features that make it well suited for various SUP activities. These features include:
- Dual-layer fusion military grade PVC construction: The dual-layer fusion gives the Komodo a very solid feel, keeping it rigid and firm as you paddle in the water. The board is very durable, and will resist drops, crashes, and other common SUP accidents with little to no damage.
- Front bungee cargo area: The forward bungee cargo area makes bringing coolers, lunch boxes, and other small to medium sized containers a breeze. You can also remove the bungee cords for even more deck space to stretch out on!
- 15 D-rings + 1 Action Mount: D-rings are perfect for clipping stuff onto, while the action mount makes it easy to screw things in. Dry-bags, camera mounts, cell phone cases, speakers, and many other add-ons will work with the Komodo 10’6’’.
- Fiberglass Shaft + Nylon Blade 3-Piece Adjustable Paddle: Weighing 34 ounces, the included fiberglass 3-piece paddle is a good paddle for beginner and intermediate paddlers to learn with. Easy to adjust, and also floats on the water if you drop it!
- Three Carry Handles: These black carry handles are firm, and offer pairs working together or single paddlers a place to grab the Komodo 10’6’’. The center handle also has a neoprene cover, for extra comfort when you grab the paddle board.
- Side velcro paddle holder: Included on the Komodo are dedicated paddle straps that allow you to secure your paddle to the board itself. Great for letting you use both hands to carry the board, or just keeping your paddle out of the way when you want to do some Yoga or just sit and relax!
- Long, textured EVA deck pad: This is the best deck pad made by GILI Sports. The soft EVA foam is soothing to stand on, allowing you to practice yoga for hours in comfort. The textured deck pad and grooves improve your feet grip, making it even easier to stand on. We also like how long it is, making use of most of the paddle board.
- 2 Color Options: The Komodo 10’6’’ is available in blue and teal.
- Charitable Donation with Every Purchase: Every new purchase of the Komodo 10’6’’ will result in GILI Sports donating $12 to $15 dollars to ocean preservation charities. Read more about this great effort, backed by the turtle logo, in the company review section below.
The Gili Komodo 10’6’’ relies on a tri-fin setup that will let you install or remove the fins in seconds with the snap-lock system. The fins are very well built, so as long as you make sure the fins are correctly snapped in you’ll be able to use them for the whole life of the Komodo 10’6’’. The center fin is 9’’ long, improving tracking when installed, while the side fins are 4’5’’ long and boost general stability and performance when inserted. You’ll be able to enjoy these fins in all water settings but shallow waters like rivers and creeks, at which point you’ll want to avoid the center fin.
We love the Komodo 10’6’’ deck pad, and would like to see this design used on the other GILI Sports paddleboards as well. The deck pad extends from the tail to the front cargo area, and is made up of textured EVA foam. The EVA foam is soft to stand on, making it great for yoga and paddleboarding in general, with the texture pattern improving traction even when wet. Something else that’s great are the deep grooves, which help with foot placement besides just adding additional feet grip support. We also love the design of the deck pad as well, helping it stick out while also being great at hiding stains.
The three handles are all snug against the paddleboard, making it easy to lift the Komodo 10’6’’ when you need to carry it. Pairs can work together by lifting with the nose and rear handles, while single paddlers can rely on the center handle. The center handle also sports a neoprene cover, which will protect your hands from chaffing if you pick up the board with wet or cold hands. A neat addition for future Komodo models would be if these neoprene covers were put on the front and rear handles as well.
With 15 D-rings, there are plenty of options to choose from for clipping on SUP accessories. Dry-bags, cell phone cases, and other small pouches are easy to attach with these D-rings. Another great feature for the Komodo 10’6’’ though is the action mount positioned on the nose of the Komodo. If you have a GoPro camera, a speaker mount, or some other screw in mount, you can make sure your gear is secure with this action mount.
The Komodo 10’6’’ has a single, removable bungee cord system that serves as the forward cargo area. Coolers, lunch boxes, and other small to medium sized containers will all fit beneath the bungee cords and keep them from tumbling out as you paddle. These bungee cords are removable, if you want the extra deck space without tripping over any cords.
Fiberglass 3-Piece Adjustable Paddle
Packed into the Komodo 10’6’’ kit is a 3-piece adjustable fiberglass shaft paddle with a nylon blade. The paddle weighs 34 ounces, and is a good option for those brand new to the sport as the ergonomic handle is comfortable to hold, ensuring you can paddle for hours without tiring out. For those who are willing to pay a bit more and want to invest in a long term paddle, you will want to consider upgrading to the 29 ounce carbon fiber shaft option at checkout.
Coming in 3-pieces makes it easy to store the paddle in the backpack, besides allowing for some adjustability for paddler height. Most adults, especially those 5’ and taller, will be able to adjust the paddle to the perfect grip height, making it easier to perfect your paddling form. Beyond that, we also like that the paddle does float in the water, though it can float away quickly if you drop it in rougher conditions.
The single chamber, dual-action pump is very easy to use, with instructions printed on the pump itself for those who have never used a manual pump before. We do like how light the pump is, and it can inflate the Komodo in about 10 to 15 minutes without too much work. However, we like the dual-chamber pump included with the Gili Meno more, given how it’s even more efficient at pumping up paddleboards. It is a little bit heavier, but it would be great if the dual-chamber, triple-action pump would be included in the next revision of the Komodo 10’6’’.
Outside of the SUP itself, the GILI Sports 2020 backpack has been improved upon as well. The whole bag is thicker than before, ensuring that water, sand, and other outdoor elements won’t damage your kit. The top carry handle is still there, but an additional side handle has been added so that you have another way to carry the bag a short distance. Those who need to hike in can rely on the padded back and adjustable straps for a very snug and cozy backpack. As for storing your gear, keep things organized by putting small stuff like your fins, leash, and repair kit in the front compartment. The Komodo 10’6’’, the paddle, the pump, and other large items can fit in the roomy main compartment, which is extra spacious to make it easy to store everything.
While the Komodo 10’6’’ is very stable, everyone falls off of a paddleboard eventually. Fortunately, the kit comes with a 10’ coiled leash that will keep the Komodo from drifting away if you take a fall in fast moving waters. While the leash is great at keeping the board close, some people make the mistake of thinking that the leash will help them stay afloat. If you want to stay safe in the water, make sure you wear a PFD.
We doubt you’ll need to use it, but there is a repair kit included with the Komodo 10’6’’ for minor damages and performance issues. Small tears, punctures, and holes on the board can be covered with the included patches, as long as the damage doesn’t occur on the seams. If the Halkey-Roberts inflation valve comes loose, something that occasionally happens with years of inserting hoses, tighten it up with the included wrench.
For all other issues or severe paddleboard damage, be sure to contact GILI Sports for additional help. Their warranty and guarantee policies are located below.
If you want to bring some stuff with you to enhance your relaxing yoga experience, you can safely secure your add-ons with the 15 D-rings and single action mount. Most third-party accessories will work great with the Komodo 10’6’’, though make sure to check compatibility before buying. If you want something guaranteed to work with the Komodo, then check out these accessories made by GILI Sports:
- Kayak conversion seat
- Paddleboard carry straps
- Waterproof dry bag
- Waterproof phone case
Company Review – GILI Sports
GILI Sports, started by Jay Regan, operates with two primary business objectives. The first goal is to create great paddleboards, and the second is do it in a sustainable way by actively improving our oceans. With these goals in mind, GILI Sports donates $12 to $15 to ocean preservation and clean up charities with the sale of every new SUP. Some of the groups that benefit from GILI Sports products include the Coral Reef Alliance, Project Aware, Oceana, and Save our Turtles. If you purchase a GILI Sports SUP that has a turtle stamp printed on the belly, you have made a small contribution to changing our oceans for the better.
Of course, while we do appreciate the charitable efforts made by GILI Sports, we wouldn’t recommend their product unless the boards and practices were also up to snuff. Fortunately, not only is the Komodo 10’6’’ a very durable board, but the board comes with a 60-day guarantee and a 2-year warranty. With a little proper care, it is highly unlikely you’ll ever need to rely on the protection coverage offered by GILI Sports. If you do have something unfortunate happen, you’ll be glad to know that they have a quick and highly responsive support team ready to help. We’ve always found GILI Sportsto be pleasant to interact with, besides being receptive to feedback to improve their boards year over year. The Komodo 10’6’’ is a good board, backed by a great company making a difference in the world.
The Komodo 10’6’’ will be an excellent option for those wanting to do SUP yoga, and a good choice for almost everyone else as well. The Komodo is very stable in the water, able to reliably support larger adult paddlers even in some light chop or waves. The 10’6’’ length helps the large yoga board be maneuverable, the 33’’ width offering a good balance between deck space and moderate board speed. The deck pad is very comfy, besides also offering great traction and grip support as well. You have everything you need for the water right out of the box, with a good pump and paddle fitting well in the great, thick backpack. We appreciate the efforts GILI Sports takes to support ocean charities with every Komodo sold, besides the awesome turtle stamp that helps the board stick out. If you’re interested in a yoga/all-around hybrid that is easy to bring with you while still offering solid performance, definitely check out the Gili Komodo 10’6’’.
Do you have a question about our review, the Komodo 10’6’’, Gili Sports, or something else related to paddleboards? Maybe you want to know more about SUP yoga, or ways to improve your paddle technique. Whatever you want to talk about, we’d be glad to hear from you, so be sure to leave a comment below or shoot us an email. We also update our reviews as we gain more experience with paddleboards, so be sure to check us out again to learn even more about SUPboarding.
Thank you very much for reading, and we hope you enjoy your next paddleboarding experience!
Justin - SupBoardGuide
Latest posts by Justin - SupBoardGuide (see all)
- Sea Gods Diatom Ten6 SUP Review – 2021 - January 28, 2021
- 2020 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Stand Up Paddle Board Deals - November 10, 2020
- Gili 11′ Adventure Inflatable Paddle Board Review (2020) - June 5, 2020